Friday, September 5, 2014

Thesis Sampling at Marinduque Island, Philippines

Thesis Sampling at Marinduque Island, Philippines

The second and third week of August is the start of my unending six months duration thesis sampling in the faraway (like you have to cross seven mountains away), very hard to reached, limited transportation available thesis sampling site (Hinapulan River, Marinduque Island Philippines). I swear it was so tiring but at the same time so wonderful and fun. Here are some of my snapshots of the beautiful sceneries while travelling here at Marinduque.


So I'm writing this in my blog in case it might help future biology students who have taken the hard road of studying heavy metals as their thesis topics (but seriously though if you still do have a choice to like change the topic, don't study this stuff!).

So first things first! How to get from Manila to Marinduque?


1.) Since I live in the Pasig area I just have go the EDSA underpass where  JAC liner bus are passing by. You have to get on the bus that says "Dalahican Port" (You could also go to Cubao Terminal Station. Same bus. Same everything) (Bus fare: 195 php student) Almost forgot, the travel time is about 5-6 hours.
2.) From Dalahican Port, buy your tickets to "Balanacan Port" at the cashier/terminal station which is 221 php for student and don't forget to pay the terminal fee also 35php.
3.) Welcome aboard the roro or roll on/roll in ship! The trip usually last for 3-4 hours but worry no more for there are foods available at the ship. Some roro even have a bar like inspired stores where they sell all these cup noodles and chips.
4.) Upon arriving at the Balanacan Port,  there are available jeep to Mogpog, Boac and other municipalities there. For us, since we are staying at the Ogbac we ride the Boac jeep and just get on the tricycle to reached the house in Ogbac.(Jeep fare:100php and tricycle fare:125php)

What to bring?

1.) Clothes. good for 2-3 days (Don't forget your undies :p )
2.) Food and water (You'll never know when you can go home again during sampling)
3.) Toiletries and other hygiene stuff (Of course, you don't want to look like a caveman wanderer)
4.) Most important of all your sampling stuff (I don't know about this. Whatever you need for collecting data)

What the place looks like?

So as a first timer in riding a roro, I was really amazed by how the view of an endless water can be so beautiful and calming. There is also something remarkable and distinct about Marinduque. I think it's the air. The air there smells incredibly sweet? I don't know what is the perfect word to describe the sensation I feel in my nostrils when I inhaled the fresh air of the province the first time. The whole island is also a perfect untouched tropical island with all these wonderful coconut trees everywhere. The landscape of Marinduque is also very noticeable. It is not flat which feels kinda weird because you're inside the jeep riding along their national road and when you look out the window it's already the cliff that awaits you. Unlike Manila where there are lots of buildings, stores, houses and people wherever you go, In Marinduque you have to wait for 2-3 hours before you could see another civilization. So here are some of my quick shots of random places in Marinduque:




















I also can't forget how beautiful and historic the Boac Church look like. See for yourself :)






1 comment:

  1. I want to share a testimony on how Le_Meridian funding service helped me with loan of 2,000,000.00 USD to finance my marijuana farm project , I'm very grateful and i promised to share this legit funding company to anyone looking for way to expand his or her business project.the company is UK/USA funding company. Anyone seeking for finance support should contact them on lfdsloans@outlook.com Or lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Mr Benjamin is also on whatsapp 1-989-394-3740 to make things easy for any applicant. 

    ReplyDelete